Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years Eve!

I must confess: I used to love New Years Eve, but December 31st, 1995 it all changed.  While living in Connecticut, a friend and I went to one of those inclusive New Years Eve parties at a hotel. Dinner, dancing, room, breakfast, etc for NYE.  It was going to be so much FUN! We ran into people we worked with and were having a blast. But sometime before midnight, after dinner, while the party was rolling along, a man at a table next to us had a heart attack and died. Right there, in the ballroom, in front of hundreds of people. It was awful. He couldn't have been more than his late 40's. It was truly tragic, his wife was a co-worker. Needless to say, it put a damper on the rest of the night. The hotel tried to do their best for the man and his wife to respect their privacy, but getting the party going again was a lost cause. I didn't sleep well that night, watching the life leave that man. So awful. What I learned from that experience was this, I was never to make another New Years resolution.  If I wanted to change something about myself, I was going to do it, and not wait for the new year and claim to make a change under the guise of a New Years resolution.  It has been the only resolution I made that actually stuck. We never know when our time is up. I'm guessing the man at the party was expecting to have a wonderful time with his wife with out the kids and ring in a new year and go home the next day, he didn't get that chance. If you want to change something about yourself, just do it, don't call it a New Years resolution, call it a New You resolution.


Happy New Year everyone!
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment