Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The $5 Savings Plan

I must confess: I love saving money. Not much of a big confession, but still. A few years ago I read about a woman who saved all of her $5 bills. Over the course of so many years she had accrued a nice tidy sum of over $10, 000. WHAT?!?! So I decided to give it a try and see what I could do. So any time I received change back that included a $5 bill. I tucked it away. Even if I gave someone a $20 for something that was only $4 and received $15 in fives, I put them a side.



After about a month I had about $100, I was surprised at how quickly it adds up, but its not so big that you would miss, it like a $20 or so small that it would take forever to add up, like spare change. The first thing I did with what I call my '$5 money' is I went Christmas shopping with it last year. It paid for my lunch, shopping and even an afternoon pick me up snack. And I still had $5 left over to put right back into my savings plan. You'd be surprised how quickly it adds up and even my hubby gives me any $5 bills he has. It has given us the opportunity to do something when it might not have been in the budget that week. It was the best thing I had read about saving money in a long time. And I will continue to do so!

Happy Saving!
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment