Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I am the (Mac and Cheese) Queen!

I must confess: I make the BEST mac and cheese in the world. Yes, I do. It's a recipe handed down from my great grandmother. And because she was a Yankee, it's a little less fattening than a southern version, which is usually made with eggs and heavy cream. I think that the cheese is the most important part. I cannot stand the boxed versions of mac and cheese made with orange cheese. That's just gross. It's even worse when you go to a restaurant and get mac and orange cheese. I always think the same thing: what you couldn't splurge on the good cheese only the cheap cheese? Anyway, I want to share the recipe with you and let me know what you think.

Great Grandma's Mac and Cheese
8oz macaroni
1 10oz block of extra sharp white cheddar
1 cup milk
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 onion

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cook macaroni. Macaroni doesn't have to be cooked all the way.
In microwave melt butter or margarine. I do this in the actual dish I'm going to be baking the mac and cheese in. Makes for less clean up and is so much easier!
Add flour and milk and microwave for 2 minutes or until it thickens (this will depend on your microwave). 



While this is happening, start cutting up cheese, I usually just cut into strips.
Add cheese and microwave for about 2-3 minutes until it is melted and thick and saucy.

Sauce should look like this:
Add macaroni and mix to cover all pasta with cheese.
Cut onion into quarters and add to dish.

Bake, uncovered, for approximately 20 minutes or until bubbly.

This can be easily doubled, add veggies, other cheeses, meats, etc.  

ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment