Monday, March 19, 2012

Recipe Organization

I must confess: I love recipes. I rip them out of magazines, print them from websites, collect them from friends and family; even taken pictures of them from magazines in waiting rooms (it would be rude to rip it out, right?) So over the many years I have collected hundreds of recipes and just threw them in a box for future use. Sounds great right?! Wrong, I have never gone through that box to look for something new. Recently I filled the box up and could not fit any more. It was time to do something about it. So I purchased a binder, some pretty file folders, some 8.5x11 in scrapbook paper and some heavy duty sheet protectors and come up with this, and I LOVE IT! Now I just reference my binder and try something new! Sometimes they work out, and I keep the recipe. Sometimes they don't and I either tweak it to our taste or ditch it. No more recipe clutter! YAY!
Here are the categories (in no particular order) that I have for my recipe book, use them all or only the ones that pertain to you!

Crock pot – I use my crock pot at least 3-4 times a week. I love that thing!
Beverages
Breakfast
Appetizers
Salads
Sides
Soups
Beef
Poultry
Pork
Seafood
Pasta
Vegetarian
Sauces and Dressings
Breads
Desserts
Misc – I use this for conversion charts, freezing tips, substitution guides, grilling tips, etc.

Below are the results from my efforts, that I'm really proud of, yay organization!

 I used an extra file folder to go all crazy and make my book cover pretty.  

I cut the file folders basically in half, used a 3 hole punch and reinforcement circles to make the tabs. Using my label maker to make the, well, labels.

I used heavy duty sheet protectors (not the non-glare kind) and scrap book paper to make each page.  I did not glue or tape down the recipes in case I end up not liking it, its easy to get rid of and it makes it easier to rearrange the recipes since they are cut from magazines, they are all different sizes.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Wendy!! I love the idea so much that when i find the time I'm going to do it. I have this tiny box of all of my recipes that i like and hardly ever use it because it's too jammed up

    ReplyDelete