Sunday, March 25, 2012

The War on Women rages on...

I must confess: WTF is going on?


  • Rush Limbaugh called a Georgetown law student, Sandra Fluke, a slut and a prostitute because she testified 'in favor of women having access to birth control.' We all saw that on the news.  He apologized, but its too little too late if you ask me.
  • In Wisconsin, Assemblyman Don Pridemore thinks that women should stay in abusive marriages. And that instead of leaving an abusive marriage that they should 'try to remember the things they love about their husbands'. Personally, as someone who was previously in an abusive relationship, I am appalled! Was I just supposed to wait until I was beaten to a bloody pulp or worse, died, before I could get out of the relationship? Fuck that! I am all for counseling, and trying to make things work, definitely, but if it doesn't help, you have to get out and save yourself and any children involved. NO government should have the right to decide that you HAVE to stay in a marriage! http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wisconsin-lawmaker-says-women-stay-abusive-marriages-232700220.html

  • Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.  As a former patient of Planned Parenthood, I'm disappointed.  I was 18 years old and a freshmen in college when I decided to take my future in my own hands.  I wasn't ready to be a parent. I was going to be one of the first in my family to get a college degree!  But lets face it, I was sexually active and poor.  Planned Parenthood gave me the opportunity to be in charge of my own health.  It wasn't anything we talked about in my house. Ever. They gave me the option to prevent pregnancy, because seriously, condoms are only so effective. Planned Parenthood isn't just about abortions, it's about a woman having the right to take care of her own health.  http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/statement-cecile-richards-president-planned-parenthood-federation-america-passage-pence-bill-el-36226.htm

So, IS this a war against women, a war on funding, a war on our rights? Are we going to lose the right to vote and drive as well? I don't think that women wanting the right to make our own choices is too demanding. Hopefully, it will be the women in politics who stand up for those who don't have a big enough voice. Cause this shit is ridiculous.

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment