Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Baking Hard Boiled Eggs

I must confess: I love hard boiled eggs. One they have a lot of protein which is good for you. And two, if you only eat the egg whites they are only one point each on Weight Watchers. So I eat a lot of them as snacks. But making them is the biggest pain in the ass! I know, how hard is it really to boil water. It isn't, but when you boil them you can boil them too much and they get that green film on the yolk. So when I found a site that suggested baking them, I was intrigued. I'm all for trying something new and possibly better. So I gave it a shot. I got out my muffin pans and put one egg in space and baked them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. That may have been to much for my oven but others suggest 325 degrees. You really just need to know your oven. Mine usually takes longer, for everything, but next time I'll try 25 minutes at 350. After you take them out of the oven, put them in a big bowl of ice water, use tongs and don't burn your fingers! After a few minutes they will cool and you can peel. I like this way because when they are baking, I can walk away and do something else, instead of watching for the pot to boil over. The yolk, if you eat it, is much creamier, this was confirmed by my cousin, who loves the yolk and was really surprised by how much creamier it was.

Ready to go!

Only one casualty during the baking process, the brown spots are normal. 

Put them in ice water.

Peel and store.  I believe because I baked mine at a higher temperature for a longer period of time is why i have a lot of brown spots.

Happy baking!
Wendy



No comments:

Post a Comment