Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Heal Thyself!

I must confess: my husband, Eric, gets a cough EVERY Winter that drives me CrAzY! Every Winter, around November, he gets a nagging cough that lasts clear until Spring when the weather finally gets warm. And for most of those he's coughing all day and all night, which sucks for both of us, because no one is getting any sleep. He's seen countless doctors who have prescribed all kinds of drugs and cough medicines for him but it never lasts for long. So this year, I was determined to find a way to address this problem without us having to sleep in separate rooms, which has been done in the past. :-( First I found a site on line that said that if you rub eucalyptus oil on the coughers feet at night, it would help subside the cough and we could both get some sleep. I was a bit skeptical because, really, the feet? But as desperate as I get, I gotta give it a try. Well I'll be damned, it worked! Now mind you, I didn't find this tip until mid-March when the coughing starts subsiding, but you can bet, the first cough he gets next Winter, the eucalyptus oil is coming back out. It's become a nightly ritual for us, I rub the oil on his feet using a cotton ball and he feels like he's getting a little pampering, because lets face it, no one wants to touch a guys feet.
The next thing I found was a site that said you can make your own shower soothers. You know the kind, you drop it on your shower floor and while you shower it dissolves and releases wonder vapor medicine to help you breath when you have a terrible stuffy nose. Yeah, those, you buy them in the store, they are tiny and expensive. So I figured I'd give it a try and make my own. Really what did I have to lose, considering how expensive they are. Below is the pictures of my progress and a link to the website I found them on.
http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.it/2012/03/homemade-vicks-vapor-shower-disks.html



What you'll need, and water.  I used inexpensive baking soda and cupcake liners.





 Mix with water until it's thick and pasty.  I used a spatula to mix.

I used an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake liners, but that didn't work so well because it's too thick.  But the spatula worked GREAT!
And this is what they looked like afterward.  I filled them each to different levels so that if we wanted to take a long shower it would last longer and if we wanted a shorter shower, not so much. 



As you can see, my attempt is not as good looking as the ones from the site. But if they work, who cares, they are just going to dissolve and go down the shower drain anyway, right?!?! 
Or can I just say 'Nailed It!'  LOL!!!!


Hope these two tips work for you like they did us! 
Happy Health!
Wendy




No comments:

Post a Comment