Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Duh, Winning!

I must confess: in the last couple of days I feel like I've been 'Winning!' - Let me explain, yesterday I took my 8 y.o. nephew shopping for his moms birthday present.  It's always a challenge taking a kid to a store to shop for someone else, all they are thinking about is what can they get for themselves.  Yesterday wasn't any different, while shopping he found a digital camera on clearance for $6.  I hate saying no to him because he's my sweet nephew, but I knew that the camera wouldn't last and it would be a waste of money. He didn't care, he had to have this stupid cheap camera.  I texted my sister-in-law for some support and advice, not being his parent I think I was looking for permission to just say no.  She informed me that he already had a digital camera and didn't need another one. Yes! ammo to back me up in my fight against the unnecessary $6 camera.  When I reminded him he didn't need it because he had one at home, he argued back that he couldn't find it.  I knew then, he wasn't backing down, but I knew we weren't leaving with it either.  We 'discussed' this back and forth for a good 10 minutes when I finally told him I can't let you buy this one when you have one at home, he finally gave in.  I was SO PROUD of myself!! I had actually WON, yay me!

Then, today, I was sitting on the couch watching TV, when something on the floor caught my eye.  I could NOT believe it, a lizard sticking half of his body out from under the couch!  I was paralyzed with fear! I don't like reptiles. At all! Since moving to the South almost 13 years ago, I've gotten used to them being around the house, but outside!  In my hysterical panic I called my husband, no answer. Damn. I called my best friend Jodi. I was in such a frenzy it took her a few minutes to understand what I was screaming into the phone. She was the epitome of calm (after she stopped laughing) which is exactly what I needed. I was yelling at her, what do I do, what do I do! She said, very matter of factly, Wendy you have to catch him and put him outside.  I was like, you want me to touch it?!?! Are you crazy?!?!  Crap, she's right, I have to get this little guy out of my house, alone.  I put her on speaker and she was there the whole time supporting me, telling me I can do it. I'm completely freaking out.  I went and got a Glad container and some disposable gloves.  I turn over the first piece of the sectional, not there.  I move the second piece and he runs out and starts moving along the wall, I start screaming bloody murder and I can hear Jodi laugh at me.
But I keep going, I start moving the second piece again and he runs out and I get him trapped.
 
I slide the lid under the container, took him outside and let him go.

I won! Again, yay me!

So, yeah, lately I feel like I've been winning. I know it won't last, but for now, it feels pretty good!

Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment