Sunday, April 29, 2012

More Comfort Food


I must confess: we love comfort food in my house. Probably why we are so overweight, but whatever. The other day I made another one of our favorites. Meatloaf, yum!!! I've had this recipe for so long I have no idea where it came from. Its been in my recipe box since at least 1993. So almost 20 years. It has served its purpose on more than one occasion. And over the years I have tried to 'lighten' it up by taking out one of the two pounds of ground beef and replacing it with one pound of ground turkey. It's not the same, but pretty close. I did make the error in judgment of having the meatloaf before heading out to Zumba. Big mistake. It sat like a rock in my belly while jumping around like a crazy person at Zumba. Won't make that mistake again! Anyway, I wanted to share the recipe and also confess that I love my as seen on TV meatloaf pan. So worth the $15 to be able to get the meatloaf out without all the greasy parts and accidentally dumping the entire thing in the sink. Yep done that before!



Meatloaf
2 pounds ground beef or 1 pound ground beef, 1 pound ground turkey
1 package dry onion soup mix
2 eggs slightly beaten
¾ cup dry breadcrumbs (plain or seasoned)
¾ cup water
1/3 cup ketchup



Mix all ingredients in a bowl or large plastic bag. Personally, I use my kitchen aid stand mixer with the dough hook. Place in loaf pan or shape into loaf and place on a 9x12 baking dish. Bake uncovered until done, about 1-1 ½ hours at 350 degrees. I also put some ketchup on top for extra flavor.






Fresh out of the oven, mine looks light because I used half turkey, half beef.

 Easy to get out of the pan because I have the special as seen on TV meatloaf pan.




Happy Cooking!
Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment