Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DIY Mirror Makeover

I must confess: the mirrors that builders have been putting in homes for the last 25 years, suck. You know the kind I'm talking about, edgeless, boring and completely glued to the wall so that they cannot be removed without a total remodel of the bathroom. I was getting pretty tired of the ugly builder mirror in the powder room downstairs, when I came across this website and it inspired me:
http://www.thesitsgirls.com/food-lifestyle/diy-bathroom-mirror-a-re-do-for-only-18/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20thesitsgirls%2FdIsr%20%28The%20Secret%20is%20in%20the%20Sauce%29



Now, my powder room isn't any wider than the mirror itself so I used bull-nose to make it pretty on the inside of the mirror. The unfinished edges didn't matter in my powder, but it might in yours. Be mindful of that when picking your tile. Finished edges all around might be the way you have to go. I couldn't find the exact adhesive that was used in the original blog, but I found one similar and used Loctite Interior/Exterior Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant, the kind you can use for making fish tanks. Figured that would do in a bathroom. Because I used bull-nose my project cost about $35 and I bought extra tile, just in case and I'll be returning what's left over. Below are the before during and after stages. It might not be perfect, but it's great for me and no more ugly mirror!




Before 


During


After



Happy DIY!

Thanks,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment